Ask The Doctors: April 2010 Women’s Edition

A systolic blood pressure of 160 is high and should be treated. A good internist should be able to help you control your blood pressure. If not, see a cardiologist or nephrologist (kidney specialist). Beta-blockers are not the first line of treatment for essential hypertension-a diuretic and/or ACE inhibitor would be better. If you have coronary artery disease or congestive heart failure, then a beta-blocker would be excellent.
To continue reading this article or issue you must be a paid subscriber. Sign in

Subscribe to Heart Advisor

Get the next year of Heart Advisor for just $20. And access all of our online content - over 2,000 articles - free of charge.
Subscribe today and save 38%. It's like getting 5 months FREE!
Already Subscribed?
Click Here to Sign In | Forgot your password? | Activate Web Access