Women's Heart Advisor April 2010 Issue

Ask The Doctors: April 2010 Women's Edition

A systolic blood pressure of 160 is high and should be treated. A good internist should be able to help you control your blood pressure. If not, see a cardiologist or nephrologist (kidney specialist). Beta-blockers are not the first line of treatment for essential hypertension—a diuretic and/or ACE inhibitor would be better. If you have coronary artery disease or congestive heart failure, then a beta-blocker would be excellent.

To continue reading this article you must be a paid subscriber.

Subscribe to Heart Advisor

Get the next year of HEART ADVISOR for just $20. That's a savings of $19 off the regular rate.

With your paid subscription you will receive unlimited access to all of our online content. That is over a decade of previous issues from Cleveland Clinic, the hospital rated #1 in cardiac care by U.S. News & World Report - free of charge.

Subscriber Log In

Forgot your password? Click Here.

Already subscribe but haven't registered for all the benefits of the website? Click here.