Features July 2019 Issue

What Type of Cardiologist Should You See for Specialized Care?

Cardiovascular care has become so sophisticated that many cardiologists choose to concentrate on a single aspect of the disease.

What Type of Cardiologist Should You See for Specialized Care?

Although many physicians manage CV risk factors very well, there may come a point when you would benefit from seeing a heart specialist.

After medical school, cardiac surgeons traditionally complete a five-year residency in general surgery, followed by two to three years of cardiothoracic (heart and lung) surgery fellowship. Some programs now offer four years of general surgery plus three years of cardiothoracic surgery. Other programs combine general and cardiac surgery into a single six-year program. The subspecialty of heart transplantation requires one additional year oftraining.

To continue reading this article you must be a paid subscriber.

Subscribe to Heart Advisor

Get the next year of HEART ADVISOR for just $20. That's a savings of $19 off the regular rate.

With your paid subscription you will receive unlimited access to all of our online content. That is over a decade of previous issues from Cleveland Clinic, the hospital rated #1 in cardiac care by U.S. News & World Report - free of charge.

Subscriber Log In

Forgot your password? Click Here.

Already subscribe but haven't registered for all the benefits of the website? Click here.